W.H. Gurley Associates recommends résumé services provided by Julie Rains of Executive Correspondents .
A three-step guide for resume preparation that follows Julie's protocol:
1. LIST THE BASICS
- Heading (name and contact information);
- Summary of Qualifications (professional credentials; language skills);
- Professional Experience (name, description, city, state, dates of your employment for each employer; title and dates for each position);
- Education (degree, institution, city, state, and date of graduation; additional studies, institution, and date of completion or attendance; specialized training);
- Professional Activities (name of organizations with dates of association; professional designations);
- Community Activities (positions and/or offices held, organization names, and dates of association);
- Other: such as Publications/Presentations or Patents.
2. ADD DEPTH
- Summary of Qualifications (specialized experience, skills, and knowledge);
- Professional Experience – details for each position (overview of position responsibilities; functional areas of accountability; volumes; supporting details listed in sequential order; accomplishments with specific, measurable results; major projects and their outcomes);
- Education (honors);
- Professional Activities and Community Activities (duties that reinforce or expand your experience base; accomplishments).
- Make sure that the vocabulary and writing style is appropriate for your target audience and career goals;
- Replace company lingo with industry or general terms;
- Delete sensitive and highly confidential information;
- Eliminate items not relevant to your career goals;
- Reorganize content or rename headings based on your background;
- Edit for space purposes by reducing the verbiage associated with less significant items;
- Check for accuracy and clarity.
Questions? Submit them to Julie for possible publication in Resume FAQs.
Want to learn more about Executive Correspondents or hire a professional résumé writer? Visit www.WorkingToLive.com and send an email from there.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." --Wayne Gretzky
Why Us | Company Services | Career Services | Contact Us | Home | Go Back | Back to Entry Page